One of the most significant baroque mansions in Europe is the former home of the Würzburg prince-bishops, Residenz Würzburg. Balthasar Neumann (1687-1753), a young and unproven architect at the time, started it for Prince-Bishop Johann Philipp Franz von Schönborn. The palace’s exterior was constructed between 1720 and 1744, and its interior was finished in 1780. By the time the enormous structure was completed, the talented architect had also worked for Friedrich Carl von Schönborn, Johann Philipp’s brother and second successor, as well as the two prince-bishops of Würzburg that followed. Around 1.5 million florins were spent on the structure, which was a significant amount at the period when one florin was equal to one week’s pay for a day laborer.
Photo credit: @daniel.sessler